Turning Memories Into Gold

Monday, May 14, 2012

Look Out Disney We Have Cookie Jars


Cookies Homemade or From Your Favorite Bakery, Store Them Here

A collection you can use everyday
There is this thing called a pack rat.  It is a small animal with a strange habit.  It collects things and takes them home to its nest.  So, they have tons of collected items filling up their living space.  Imagine bits of woolly string, colorful feathers, and shiny metal object dragged dutifully back home to enhance the home or serve as a status symbol.  How proud the little pack rat must feel after collecting treasures that please him and his mate.  Humans must have a little pack rat in them.  Evolving over time to look different humans still retained a bit of the pack rat in them.  Like the pack rat, we humans collect and covet specific items in our lives and in our homes.  Disney knows this human trait and provides a variety of things to appeal to every collector.  Some people are tempted by snow globes.  They’re snow globes of every character in a myriad of settings.  For this pack rat snow globes were impractical.
They are definitely a put on the shelf and admire them item.  If you have small children it has to be a high shelve.  You need to get them down and shake them to get that snowy effect.  Another impracticable collectible to me is Disney figurines.  These are delicate three-dimensional representations of your favorite Disney characters.  As with snow globes the inclusion of every character assures that you’ll find the corresponding Disney loving individual.  I have a friend that collects antennae balls.  However, she is a Mickey Mouse only girl.  For her it's Mickey is the best and the rest are the rest.  My daughter, as I said with pins, loved the Princesses early in life and migrated to Tinker Bell, as she got older.  My son was a big Buzz Lightyear guy.  My mom, the sponsor, was the Disney Bad Girl villain fan and Mickey Mouse soul mate.  She was born in the same year.  Me, I’m Goofy.  Everyone would agree with you, but I really enjoy that Goofy spirit and the character himself.  Trying everything and always on the edge of near disaster.  That’s me, but I’m also practical.  Therefore I gravitated toward a collectible object that I could both admire and use, Disney cookie jars.
Fill Mickey's Jar
My collection of cookie jars fit into many categories.  First there is, of course, Mickey Mouse cookie jars.  Then there are some of the other Disney characters.  Also there are cookie jars that were made for Pixar movies and even 
Disney Channel programs.  Finally there are cookie jars for holidays.  In this posting I am going focus on the Mickey Mouse cookie jars.   
This Mickey Mouse cookie jar is the most functional.  It had a good nice big capacity for lots of yummy cookies.  Fill it with homemade oatmeal raisin cookies for me.  If you are getting store bought cookies, you should dump in some blond Oreos.  There is a trend lately in Disney clothes of the worn look.  This cookie jar has this intentional scuffed up look.  


As a child of the Fifties, I watched the Mickey Mouse Club everyday.  This was an example of corporate synergy.  They created an audience for the daily afternoon television show who became the eventual visitors to Disneyland.  When I watched the Disney Channel with my twins, I saw that same synergy at a higher level.  But the seed was planted with the Mickey Mouse Club.  Cartoons, guests, and children singing and dancing.  It is all comfortable.
The Disney cookie jar that commemorates this trail blazing television show is a three dimensional representation of the show's opening.  The song and the carrying on their leader Mickey Mouse.
"Whose the leader of the club. whose made for you and me?"
"M-i-c-k-e-y  M-o-u-s-e, Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse"
"Forever let us hold our banner high, high, high, high"                                                                                                                                     
"Mickey Mouse - Donald Duck - Mickey Mouse - Donald Duck"
What movie do you think is in the can?



So there you have it Mickey Mouse the television star.  But Mickey was not always just a television icon.  Before he moved into television, he was a movie star.  He made several movies and was known worldwide.  Starting with his debut on November 18, 1928 in Steamboat Willie, Mickey has played a variety of roles.  He played Bob Cratchit in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.  He made buddy films with his best buddies Donald Duck and Goofy.  A man and his dog has always been a Hollywood favorite genre.  With his longest romantic interest Minnie Mouse, Mickey has starred in love stories.  So who is the real Mickey Mouse.  The answer is the Reel Mickey Mouse.  We are now so use to seeing DVD's and not to long ago movies on the VHS format.  In the past films were developed on celluloid film and wound on a reel and stored in a metal can.  This is reflected in in this Disney cookie jar.


Mickey is such a laid back guy.  Have you ever wondered what Mickey does when he wants to kick back and watch television when he is at home?  Is he a recliner kind of guy?  Does he sprawl out comfortably on the floor.  Does he always sit around in his iconic yellow shoes, red pants, and white gloves?  These cookie jars might give the answer to these inquiries.


Watching the Disney Channel I think
Maybe Minnie is on the tube

Looks great in pastel
Mickey lounging at home is one thing but what else does do my cookie jars reflect about Mickey's home life.  I'm sure he mows his lawn and cleans his rain gutters.  I have a Disney cookie jar that shows him, Minnie Mouse, and his dog, Pluto slaving over a hot stove baking sweet treats.  Let's peek in and see what's cooking.


Get your cookies direct from the oven
Watch the dog! He's eyeing the cake
Mickey and Minnie sure are cookin' as they say.  They have been together for going on their eighty-fourth year together.  They seem as happy now as they were back then. This you can clearly see in their cooperation in the kitchen.  But how close are they really.  Mickey and Minnie cuddled up together enjoying each others' company.  Locked in a sweet embrace clearly demonstrating their affection.  I have a Disney cookie jar that illustrates their love.  


That's just a chip on Mickey's ear.  Minnie didn't nibble on it.


"I'm a little teapot..."
Don't they make a cute couple and a good place to put those shortbread cookies sold by the Girl Scouts.  The say that clothes make make the man.  With Mickey Mouse the yellow shoes and red pants is what make Mickey, Mickey.  This outfit is so simple and impressive all you need are the clothes and the ears.


Mickey's short pants
So everyone who is a collector finds what works for them for me it's cookie jars.  Next time we look at cookie jars we'll investigate Disney holiday cookie jars.  Good bye for now so grab a cookie and we will see you at Disneyland.

1 comment:

  1. Diane,
    Thank you for reading my blog and making a really relevant comment. I checked out the coollectors website and it was just that cool. The Stieff's jumped me which I also collect. Have you read some of my other posts? I don't always consentrate on my "coollections." I would enjoy linking the sites however, I will contact you by email. I just started blogging in January and I don't know all the "bells and Whistles." Guidence could be needed.
    Repsectfully,
    Midasgold

    ReplyDelete