Turning Memories Into Gold

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Time Machine Travelogue Three


Due to Inclement Weather

San Diego State

I had a fantastic opportunity this year.  I was able to take my own 17-year-old high school seniors on a college road trip.  One of the locations we got to was San Diego State University. Once we were down there I said to my children that I had spent some time exploring San Diego years ago.  So, it is time to fire up the old time machine again. Go ahead set the dials to travel to one of California’s most beautiful cities, San Diego. 

 Look its raining, here at home.  Guess I won’t be working for a while.  This was a natural occurrence when I was younger because I worked in construction and when it rained for extended periods all construction would be canceled because of inclement weather.  This gave me a two-week break to travel.  Honest, I was looking for work.  I had to I was on unemployment.  No one said where I had to look.  Also, in construction you receive your vacation pay in February.  So the traveling had to go on the road for work.

Campland
Back then I had a beat up old Chevy truck with a cab over camper.  See I was moving up from that old Rambler American.  I did a little investigation and I found the perfect place to camp in San Diego, Campland on Mission Bay.  This was my San Diego base for exploring.



San Diego Zoo

Of course, everybody knows that there is a zoo there.  I guessed I liked zoos.  However, San Diego Zoo is a real zoo not an animal menagerie.  This zoo is huge.  Walking the entire zoo would be difficult.  There were two options.  The zoo tram tour and the aerial tramway allowed moving from place to place a lot easier.


I was the owner of a new Minolta 201 35mm camera.  The animals were absolutely fascinating.  There was a koala that other zoos only dreamed of having.  There was a proboscis monkey that looked like my grandfather, and an owl that I wasted a roll of 20 pictures trying capture.


Sea World

Also San Diego had Sea World with the famous Shamu the Whale.  There were many other animal acts.  It was so cool even if you got splashed with salt water.  They had an act that included a group of penguins called the Penguini Brothers.  I never laughed so hard at these little birds strutting across the stage.


San Diego Harbor Cruise

San Diego has a beautiful harbor. On that harbor was a Harbor Cruise.  This was enjoyable.  You got to see many of the sights from a different point of view. There were all the US Navel vessels that were berthed there.  Also, you got to see the Coronado Bridge from under it.  You sailed to Point Cabrillo.  Here was the first spot stepped upon by the Spanish.  But the strangest sight was an old Mississippi styled riverboat called the Ruben E. Lee.  It was a restaurant.  It looked so out of place docked there.
Old Town San Diego 

A trip to San Diego has to include Old Town, and the San Diego Mission.  California missions were located by the Spanish all up the coast.  They provided a religious training for the native indigenous people who the Spanish called Neophytes.

The Old Town is a fantastic place to go for Mexican food.  If you like spicy and traditional Mexican food, that's the place to explore the restaurants.  I am a big fan of the combo plate, 2 beef tacos and a cheese enchilada.  My traveling companion liked the chicken enchiladas.  After the nice big dinner a stroll down through the town was in order.  There were many great shops full of special little trinkets.   Many of the items were related to the ocean of course.  But you can never have too many paper weights, right?
Balboa Park

A location often over looked is Balboa Park.  The park was created for the 1915 Panama-California exposition.  This celebrated the opening of the Panama Canal.  There is an incredible collection of Art Deco architecture.  There are days worth of museums.  Several of them were cool but I was awe struck by the San Diego Air and Space Museum.  It contained a replica of the Spirit of St. Louis, the plane that Charles Lindberg flew non-stop from New York to Paris.  It was incredible seeing something that was part of history.  The aircraft was designed and built in San Diego. 

In the park is a reproduction of the Globe Theater.  It was built in 1935 and performances of Shakespeare appeared there. 


The conservatory in the Botanical garden was instantly recognizable.  It was reminiscent of the Conservatory in Golden Gate Park. 


 That little red light on the control panel of the time machine is flashing again.  So it is time to head home to the future.  We need to get back before that annoying beeping starts.  When we are finally home, we need to get out and see what will happen.  You never know how the weather will be, because the wind is blowing.  This new wind might be bringing change.  My daughter was accepted at San Diego State University.  She may choose to go there.  That will give me a reason to return again to San Diego.  It will be great showing her around.

Take care fellow time trippers.  See in the future if we missed you in the past.

RARW

No comments:

Post a Comment