Turning Memories Into Gold

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Look Out Disney We Have Pins


Pin Your Hopes Here

I once had an old straw hat that I put pins on. It was very European.  When I was a skier, I saw skiers with hats that had pins on them all the time. I would wear that old hat everywhere.  County fairs, festivals, and street fairs wherever I went I wore that hat.  On one of my trips to Disneyland, I bought a Goofy pin, which I placed front, and center on that hat.   That is what got me started pin collecting Disney pins.  You notice I didn't say trade because I don't trade pins. I'm too much a chronic pack rat for that.  At first, I just bought the occasional pin.  As Mickey here and Donald there no rhyme or reason to my collecting.  Then I caught the bug. I started buying pins with a plan. I started collecting pins that were for holidays and had dates on them. I collected pins that were for different attractions. I got lanyards but they filled up too fast and were heavy and uncomfortable on a hot day. I saw people in those pin vests but most of then were old and just looked nerdy. So I went to the pin cases for storage of my pins. 
Then it happened, my kids decided to start collecting pins now there were more pins to buy every time we went to the park.  Then my Mom, who use to buy so much stuff from the Disney Catalog, that she had own personal shopper. Too bad the catalog went away.    However, in the catalog they offered pin sets. I will blog on these collections next week.

My Mom, who we called affectionately called the Sponsor, was born in 1928. This gave her a special connection with Mickey Mouse, whose birthday was the same year. So many of the pins collected were of Mickey. She also loved the Bad Girls, those Disney villains who have to be there so the the hero can win. Without the villains, there would be no Disney magic. They had pins of them that took us several visits to collect. In Fantasyland, they use to have a villain shop it unfortunately closed. In its place they put a heraldry shop. This is the same kind of place you could find in a mall at Christmastime. It doesn't fit the Disney theme. I think with all the Kingdom Keeper books they need a villain shop.  


I asked my son his favorite pin and he said that his was Huey, Dewey, and Louie. That surprised me totally.  I know he once purchased a pin set that included all three but I never connected the dots. My daughter is a different story, her favorites were The Princesses and Tink. I should have known that. She has always loved the Princesses. When she got older she gravitated to Tinker Bell.  My wife too was true to her character. Her birthday is December 20th. She waits all year for something to celebrate. This has made anything Christmas her favorite. We collected a pin series of the Twelve Days of Christmas. We are both teachers. This gives us a Christmas Break. With this time and a little money, okay a lot of money, we can go to Disneyland for a holiday stay.   That is why we have spent several vacations there. Some have included Christmas Day or New Years Eve. Therefore, I have tons of dated pins of those holiday times.  
I polled some of the people I know who read my blog as to their favorite character.  I was told Donald Duck and Lilo & Stitch. So, I was happy to find these characters in my collection.  So what is your favorite character? I would love to look through my collection and photograph them for you. So just leave a comment and I'll put a post or posts for you. Next time as I alluded to, I am going to cover boxed sets and special collections. 


Do check back it is going to be fun.  Thank you for reading about Disney Pins.


2 comments:

  1. I love all the pins!
    I have some pins too, and each one is a bit unique. I should show you them, soon, on a blog post! I used to trade pins , though, when I was in Disney. Have you ever seen those people wearing a necklace-like thing, with pins on them? I have those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lilo and Stitch pins. I was surprised to see the Minnie Mouse soccer pin because I also have that one. Love the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete