Turning Memories Into Gold

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

This Week in Education March 5, 2012

No Substitute For Success



I didn't post last week to the education blog because of my trip down south.   So I had to call a substitute for my class.  Since I was to be out for three days, I was hoping for one sub for all the days. Getting ready for a sub is not an easy task. You don't want to leave a highly test standard for them to introduce or teach because you are never sure about the sub's ability. Then, you need to gather and copy all the worksheets.  You have to do this for every subject. The ELA subjects, spelling, vocabulary, reading , and grammar. Let us not forget the other subjects like math, social studies, and science. Luckily, it is late in the year and the students are able to lead PE exercises and know the activity we are on. 


I write a detailed lesson plan for each day and put all the different day's work in different colored folders. I am set to go and I don't look back. Let the chips fall where they may. I subbed for two years before I got on full time. I know how difficult being a guest teacher can be. The students eat most subs for a snack.  This time was no different. The first sub left after five minutes. She is still bad mouthing my class everywhere in the district. They are a tough group. Think of the movie Blackboard Jungle only with ten and eleven year olds. 


I remember my first week with them they were on the floor doing the worm. When I called their parents they said, "We don't want to stifle their creativity. They are just trying to be the best they can be and express themselves."



That brings us to the next sub. He lasted the day but did not want to come back. But he destroyed to colored coded system that would be done by the following days. Wednesday's sub also left at the end of the day, but not before telling the student to "Shut Up" and call them "Idiots."
Now it's day three and administration starts making frequent trips into my room. Students that are the usual suspects are removed and placed with other teachers. She survived the day but she left doing the previous day's lessons.



We had Spirit Week. I hate spirit week. Once you allow the students to not follow the rules like jersey day and no uniform. Hat day when hats are not allowed. Or the worst crazy hair day. Their hair is crazy enough already on regular days. Luckily I am getting a sub that day. Oh no, more sub plans.


1 comment:

  1. Midas, I just wanted to say that I always read your blog, everyday, as well as frogs! I just don't comment too much :P

    Haha, one question, though!
    Would you rather take the week off, and have a sub in for the class, or stay for the week with the kids who sometimes annoy you?

    ReplyDelete