Turning Memories Into Gold

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

This Week in Libertyland 9/4/2012

Kittysaurus Rex at Two Months


"What's that sound, cellophane?"
We got Liberty on July 4th when my daughter's friends found this poor abandoned two week old kitten.  She was not weaned so it meant midnight feedings.  We were constantly entertained by her energy and actions.  The last two cats we had were both older when we rescued them.  It has been years since we had a very young kitten.  We are older too which means that while Liberty's action is adorable it isn't as easy to accept when your tired and wanting to relax after a long day.  We found that we needed to tire her out first.  We employed many well known kitty toy methods to accomplish this.  We made a cellophane kitty lure on a belt.  To see Liberty in action click on the above link.


"Did that bear move?"
Of course, we bought cat toys.  The toy mentioned above was made out of the cellophane that was packaging off one of those plastic balls with a bell inside.  Liberty found a victim to attack.  A small Beanie Baby toy from a McDonald's Happy Meal.  To see Liberty in action with the poor tortured bear click on the above link.

However no matter how many toys we provide, the thing that attracts her the most are my fingers flashing over the keyboard of my laptop while I'm playing Tetris.  Okay, those who know me know my fingers don't flash.  Soon after forcing me to quit playing, she settles in on the keyboard stopping my play.  I think she wants me to watch her.  


Kittens grow up fast, so what was once a little two week old kitten is now two months old kittysaursrex.  


So this is a tale of a kitten and a laptop.  When she was two weeks old, she needed to keep warm.  Kittens that small are kept warm cuddling with their litter mates and mother cat.  We were becoming the mother cat so we not only took over feeding duties but we were providing the warmth.  Kittens that small can lose body heat rapidly.  My laptop gives off heat and since it is on my lap it is close to me.  Therefore, I allowed Liberty to stretch out on the keyboard.  Because this plopping down on the keyboard was permitted when she was young she has continued the behavior.  This fact has given us a progression of pictures which allows us to see Liberty's growth during her two months with us.  



"Now I push this pad. It's the mouse"
What can a Tetris player do?
"Just try to play!"
"This is my computer."
"This is my domain."
Going through my iPhoto I noticed that oddly I had pictures of Liberty that I took on and shortly before August 4th, a month after she arrived into our lives.  I knew that she had grown, who doesn't.  We are on that side of the Universe.  Liberty's health was getting better and she was getting stronger.  Anyone who had a kitty knows that they are energy squared.  However everytime when I was plying Tetris,  she made a bee line for the computer stopping the play and then settling down sprawl on the laptop. 
There are no team games anyway. I give up.
"Do you think this pose is cute?"
"Guess again.  This is soooo cute."

"What, did someone call me?"

"Look, someone wants me but I choose to be with you."

"You are so lucky I would rather be here."

"Wait, did I just see your hand move?"

Over he Labor Day Weeke, I was sneaking in some Tetris playing time.  I was on a mission.  I was trying to reach 26,000 first place finishes by my birthday.  The kitten, who is starving for attention, getting only twenty hours of attention a day.  To tell you the truth I'm typing this right now one handed because she is laying on my lap.  I looked a her on my lap and she was so darn cute I grabbed  iPhone and snapped some new pictures.  It was awkward. I had to use both the front facing camera and the rear facing camera.  So what I ended up was some really cool camera angles.  Then it hit me, on September 4th Liberty will be with us two entire months.  With that I knew I had the perfect blog post. 


"Where's my crown?" 

Shhhhhh, the Queen is sleeping.

"Do I smell shrimp?"

"No, it was just canned cat food. The Queen will not have any of that!"
This is total trust.
I am sure that next month Liberty will still want to sit on the keyboard.  How big will she be then?  Check back I'm sure we will see Liberty has grown.


1 comment: