Turning Memories Into Gold

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Liberty, Not Again

Found On the 4th of July


I am sorry for the sparseness of my post lately.  Things are crazy in this house.  First, my daughter had to go to her orientation to UCSB.  This was going to be my big exciting trip.  When I looked at the possible dates for orientation, I saw that they were having a session on July 16th and 17th.  In my boyish mind this was fantastic.  I could take her to orientation and since Santa Barbara is two hours from Disneyland take a vacation.  July 17th is Disneyland's birthday.  I dreamed this perfect trip.  
Mickey is turning his back on me.
Then my adult mind punched me in the mouth.  There was this thing called money.  Dang, twins have always been expensive but two of them going to college at the same time is a killer of boyish dreams.  There will be no Disneyland trip for me.  This bummed me out.  But your kids come first, that is what they keep telling me especially my wife.  


They say things happen for a reason though.  I guess Liberty coming into our life was the reason.  As I wrote in the July 7th blog, Liberty is the abandoned kitten a friend found and we decided to nurse back to health.  So with kitty duties someone had to stay home to continue to care for Liberty.  I have had many cats before so I was elected to stay while my wife went with my daughter.  Liberty is beginning to become more playful.  So, 4:00 in the morning she is ready to play.  Now Midasgold is my avatar on Tetris Friends.  So when I have free time, I enjoy playing on my laptop.  Now my laptop has two attractions for Liberty.  The first, it is warm.  Young kittens need to be warm so having her on my lap near the laptop is a good spot.  The second attraction is my fingers constantly moving playing the game.  Fingers, hands, and feet are toys to kittens.  So sleeping lap kittens soon become finger attackers.  
Found the warm spot.
I have lost games of Tetris because of the kitten waking up and going for my fingers.  She first wakes up and sees the minos dropping on the screen.  She finds that fascinating and reaches out to touch the screen.  Soon there is a full blown adventure on the keyboard.
Ready to pounce
Now I only play team games.  So, many players have heard the excuse that the reason I lost was because of the kitten seized game control.  I, also, have friends that read my blog.  Thank you, all of you who do.  They have seen Liberty on the blog.  Some have even requested that I post more pictures of the kitty.

It is hard to push the space bar this way.
This one's for you Plumpgnome.
You giving up Midas?
Finally, I give up playing because it is impossible.  My screen is going crazy.  My Spotlight is searching for 8888jjnndjoo------ because these are keys pressed by Liberty.  One day an application called Voice Over was activated.  This application is to allow blind users know what the cursor is on and reads the text.  I have never used it and didn't even know it was a function on my computer.  I didn't know how to turn it on.  It was so annoying having everything meticulously read to you by Alex, the electronic voice.  Annoying Alex aiding me in my search of the key strokes that would TURN IT OFF.  In the mean time Liberty settles in for a rest after her mischief.
No playing for me.
Now I need to get her interested in something else.  Shoes are always good.  I lift her down and she spots my shoes.  She dives in and attacks the shoes inside and out.  Liberty claws and chews on the shoelaces.  Those little plastic ends, the aglets.  Diving inside head first.
Chewing off the aglets
After a playful period two things have happened.  She is sleepy and I am wide awake.  My wife has a little red cervical pillow she uses when watching TV.  This is handy because if she falls asleep she has neck support.  It stops the most dreaded napping failure of bobble heading.  You know your head flopping around forward and back and side to side until it wakes you up.  When the pillow is not in use, it is tossed to the couch.  This pillow has become a favorite snuggle spot for Liberty to nap.
 Shh! Maybe I can sneak in a game of Tetris.
Is that a keyboard I here?
Ok, that is what is happening with the kitty.  I hope this week to get a totally different collection blog out on the French cameo glass that I own.  Please hang in there.  There is more to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment