Turning Memories Into Gold

Monday, July 30, 2012

This Week In Libertyland



So Many Kitten Requests


Who would of thought that I would be writing about a pet.  I thought that only weird old ladies and strange shut-ins did that.  However, I have had people actually request that I post more pictures of our new kitten, Liberty.  


MMS this ones for you
I could just put up some pictures and a lot of you would probably like that, but I have to put down some words or I don't feel like a blogger.  I have had many cats over the years and each one has had its own distinctive personality.  Challenger was called that because the first day we got him as a kitten he got up on the bed challenged our other cat by hissing and spitting at her.  Dickens was not named because we were watching A Christmas Carol, but because he was a mischievous little dickens.  I got a Siamese cat when my dad moved to Oregon that he named Gully Cat.  My dad and brother were big Snoopy fans and in the Peanuts comic strip Snoopy feared not mountain lions but gully cats.  My Gully had a specific talent that not all cats do.  She would retrieve thrown objects.  When she was playing fetch her favorite thing to bring back to you was my dad's crumpled up cigarette wrapper.  That crackly sound of cellophane was irresistible to Gully.  More than one of my cats have succumb to that noise.  My wife also had cat that loved that cellophane sound.  It was a black cat with white paws that they called Lucifer, after the kitty in Cinderella.  My wife would tie a string to a celophane wrapper from a pack of cigarettes and hang it from a doorway.  Lucifer would play for hours.  As an aside, I bet you guessed that we both grew up in households of smokers.  In our house we would tie a string around the empty pack and also suspend it in a doorway.  Our cat loved to play with it.  Now Liberty, who was found on the 4th of July, is becoming a hyperactive kitten.  She gets what we have called for years the night time friskies.  Taking advantage of the nightly burst of energy is important for a couple reasons. First, it tires her out.  Getting her to play has the benefit of a good nights sleep.  The kitten won't be up all night attacking your hands and feet.  
Secondly, it is fun to watch her play and attack everything.  She loves to bat around a Sharpe pen that has been dropped into kitty territory.  I placed some beads into an empty water bottle but this only gets minor attention.  The Velcro on the computer charging cord gets major play.  Throw an empty toilet paper tube down and watch her go. With all these toys we brought out the tried and true, cellophane.  Now no one in our family smokes so we needed to find another source.  At the store one day, I bought a package of three small plastic balls that had a bell inside.  We opened the package an rolled one of the balls across the floor.  Liberty lowered herself into a crouch ready to pounce and turned away.  She could care less that the toy called itself a cat toy on the package.  The packaging was the answer.  Like a child that gets more entertainment from the box than the toy on Christmas Morning, the package would serve as more entertainment than the toy to Liberty.  The clear bag that the three kitty balls were wrapped was cellophane.  Now we have been dragging around an old polka dotted fabric belt for her to chase.  By adding the newly found cellophane tied to it, we have a delux kitten toy.  
Liberty look here.
Now, we will see some kitty antics as Liberty attacks her new lure.


What is this something new?
What did you do to my polka dot thingy?
I got it.
This is my captured prey.
It's trying to get away.
I got a bead on it.
Don't even try to get away.
My claw got it, now I bite it.
Get it bright eyes!
I am Libertysaurus Rex
Now, we have her played out. The Ant, my daughter, has done her job well. Liberty needs to get something to eat and she will be ready for bed.  Lately, the kitten has taken a liking to the comforter that was in Ant's crib when she was a baby. We recently were unpacking some boxes and threw it on the sofa.  The theme was Teddy Bear's Picnic.  Now almost eighteen years later, it is being slept on again.

Dreaming that she is Queen of the Beasts.
So if  I get more requests for Liberty pictures, I will try to keep my friends happy.  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment