Turning Memories Into Gold

Monday, January 23, 2012

Look Out Disneyland Here We Come Two

Daddy What's to Eat


I am on a diet, who isn’t at the beginning of a new year?  People diet for all sorts of reasons.  Some diet to look attractive to the opposite sex.  While others diet because they have a low self body image. With me it is different, I, am dieting for my health. I am concerned about the extra weight I have gained since the doctor put me on insulin.  He and I decided that controlling my body’s blood sugar would be easier that way.  It was working perfectly too.  Then I had an unfortunate accident. I stuck at the line when bowling an fell onto the lane and cracked two ribs and tore cartilage on my ribcage. This interrupted my exercise routine. Not that I had a routine, but the inactivity and the holidays caused me to gain a quick twenty pounds. 

 Boring I know. But I want to go to Disneyland at the end of February and I hate to say it I like to not only ride the rides I like eating my way through the parks. There are so many foods and treats that I have come to enjoy over the years.  However, the good thing about Disneyland is that you are walking a whole lot more, which I consider makes up for the extra food.

Since Disneyland is going to be open for 24 hours on February 29th, let’s consider a 24-hour menu.  This should be a sufficient motivation to keep me on my diet, so I can indulge when the time comes.

You start the day at dark thirty, so you can be first in line to enter the park. You are hungry and there is no time to have a sit down breakfast, so you go for the best that Downtown Disney has to offer, Beignets.  Beignets are what donuts want to be when they grow up.  And there are only two places you can get them.  One is in Downtown Disney and one is in Disneyland.

The beignets were featured in the movie The Princess and the Frog. Tiana wants to start a restaurant in New Orleans.  She is famous for the beignets she made as a side job.


That makes any New Orleans themed area a perfect setting for serving beignets.  The Downtown Disney has a place that fits the bill perfectly. It is Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen.  My wife is drooling just hearing me talking about it.  That is one of the spots we are going to hit on our quick trip this Leap Year.  You can't go to Disneyland without having a beignet or two.


They are warm and puffy.  They pour white powdered sugar into the bag.  A quick but gentle shake of the bag coats the beignets with mouthwatering frosting.  Just writing this has raised my blood sugar.  As you walk along eating your beignet, you have powdered sugar on your face and a snowstorm of powered sugar on the front of your shirt.





If you decide to wait until you are into the park for your beignets, you are going to, of course, New Orleans Square.  There tucked behind the French Market near the train station is the Mint Julep Bar.  Here you can get Mickey-shaped beignets.







They are cute with their little Mickey ears.  They aren’t as good as the Jazz Cafe, but if you are in the park it is the perfect morning sugar rush.  This will get you through the early morning until you have time for breakfast.  Now fueled up go ride some of those rides that have longer lines later on in the day.  Many are open early in the morning. Some of our family favorites can be found in Tomorrow Land.




Try hitting Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blaster. This is a fun and competitive family attraction.  Tell us quick what is you high score.  Now, run to the email kiosk and send that photo to your friends, family, and yourself.  Then send them to everyone from your smart phone. Make them jealous that they aren't in Disneyland competing against your high score. 





Then move to maybe Star tours or Space Mountain.  For our family we love Star Tours especially now that it is 3D.  We may even ride it more than one time to see if we can one of the many variations that the attraction now has.  This has made it fascinating and unexpected.



Followed by stopping by Indiana Jones to get Fast Passes.  This Fast Pass allows you to return at a later time to enjoy the attraction.  The shorter line time still lets you to see all the Disney touches that keeps the ride's theme faithful to the Indiana Jones's Movies.  But beware don't look directly into the idol's eye. I do every time and it makes for a wild ride.









Finally jump on Pirates of the Caribbean.  You know everyone needs   a great pirate song stuck in you head while you are eating your breakfast. 

After the rides, your ready for a sit down breakfast.

The River Belle Terrace is and ideal spot.  I started going there when it was Aunt Jemima’s  restaurant.  I have many pictures of my friends and family sitting on the outdoor balcony.  I generally wait for the Mark Twain in the background.  This slow breakfast allows to get that cup of coffee since walking and drinking in a crowd is difficult and unsafe.  The country fried potatoes; eggs and fruit platter is a delicious.  



But the reason to go there is the Mickey Mouse Pancakes.  You would think this is for kids, but it is enjoyable by everyone. Well, I'm full now and it's time to hit those ride again.  I have to start thinking of what to have for a mid morning snack.  Also, what would be that perfect spot for lunch.  I will poll my family, and let you know next week.  Stayed tuned Disneyphiles. Till next time. 

RARW.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you're on a diet, but don't forget to treat yourself to some things, once in a while! ;)

    Wow, sounds like you had an amazing trip! Your blog post makes me want to go to Disney now! :)

    ReplyDelete