Turning Memories Into Gold

Monday, January 30, 2012

Lookout Disneyland Here We Come Three


Is It Lunch Yet?


I could be blindfold and still know where I was because every spot in Disneyland is unmistakable.   I have been going to Disneyland every year since it opened.  I have seen so many changes.  I have celebrated with my own parents, with my wife and I, and now with my family.  So Disneyland being open 24 hours on February 29th is not something my family and I want to miss.  Here is the opportunity to think about one of the most important Disney traditions, eating.  Now that we have finished our breakfast (see last Monday's blog if you missed it).


With appitates sated we are ready to ride.  Hit the Haunted Mansion it is an easy ride on a full stomach.  It is a short walk from the River Belle Terrace and it is easy on digestion. The Doom Buggies are soothing and the hitch hiking ghost add no weight to the buggy.

Hey, look the wait time for Splash Mountain is short, lets go. For years this attraction was only enjoyed by son and I.  My wife enjoyed the ride but my daughter was too afraid.  She and her brother are twins.  Then a couple of years ago, we convinced her. "It's Disney.  Would Disney do anything to hurt you."
"Yes!" she answered.  "Don't you remember Toontown."
She was right, but that is another story for another time.  However, she decided to try Splash Mountain.  Since that time, she loves it.

Look at the time.  Those Indiana Jones” Fast Passes are redeemable lets go there next.  Now here it comes, hard to believe, but my son says “Dad, can we stop for a snack?”

“What do you guys want?”  My daughter wants a churrro, I want popcorn, and my son wants frozen lemonade, a churro, and some of his mom’s popcorn.  Teenage boys are a bottomless pit.

Now the morning is over and the crowds are picking up, and we still have rides to ride.  Well, it's time to stand in queue lines.  Some would say, “Darn those crowds.“  But I enjoy standing in line. Crazy?  Maybe but this is family time at its best.  We talk about what we have done and what we still want to do.  And of course what we want for lunch. Walt wanted to build Disneyland as a place where children and parents could do things together.


Strangely waiting in line is together.  It gives you a chance to talk about many things.  You are connecting with your kids.  You see their excitement.  Over the years the conversation has changed, but there is conversation.  Also, there are other families in line.  Thank you Mom.  She would talk to anyone anywhere, a trait that I learned from her.  I have struck up conversations with people from all over the world in many of the differt ride lines at Disneyland.

But at this time of the day, the thing that is said the most by my family is, “What’s for lunch?”
The question is do you want to take a break and sit down for lunch or do you want to grab something and continue exploring the park?

The grab on the run is always cool for me.  I like the corn dogs from the Little Red Wagon on Main Street.  This is a perfect corn dog.  It is hand dipped in a cornmeal batter and fried perfectly and served hot.  I love it because it reminds me of the State Fair.  I also looked for the Pronto Pup cart.  I never get that first bite because my wife always asks, "Can I have that bite?"  What can I do but say, "Yes, of course."  I, however, get to enjoy the rest.  Including that little bit of crisp fried batter that clings invitingly to the stick


My wife likes the Bengal Barbeque.  The skewers of chicken are great.  Plus this lunch location’s food is on my diet, but who cares.  There are no calories in vacation food, right. 

My son loves the turkey leg and of course a bag of chips or some french fries. 

My daughter will grab something from the outdoor venders like grapes or an apple along with a Mickey pretzel.




An area where you can get a sit down lunch is where the fight begins.  There are so many choices and so little time.  However, the suggestions are always delicious.  Names get bantered about.  Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port, Carnation Cafe, Stage Door Cafe, and Village Haus Restaurant are all tasty suggestions. 


Crazy as it may sound if I get my choice today it will be lunch in Toontown.  There are three little walk-up windows that offer different choices.  So dump the kids at a table because we are getting food from Pluto’s Dog House, Daisy’s Diner, and Clarabelle’s.
What kind of fare will this give us? 

At Pluto’s Dog House, you can get a yummy hotdog.  It is a skinned eight incher with all the trimming.  When you bite it there is a distinctive snap as you sink your teeth into it.  It is all that and a bag of chips as they say.

Daisy’s Diner has the kids’ favorite, pizza both cheese and pepperoni. 

Clarabelle’s has salads and a great turkey club sandwich.  This is not without problems.  You have to wait in three different lines.  This can take some time.  This is why my wife hates it.  But I love the hot dog so it's worth it to me.

Does this mean we are done eating this afternoon?  Not by a long shot.

The good thing about taking a light lunch is it leaves you room for those late afternoon snacks.  Back to the munching.  There is popcorn to eat.  How can you survive an afternoon with out Mickey shaped ice cream bars?  Everyone in our family agrees on this.  Biting that ear off is addicting.  If you aren't in a diabetic coma yet, you have to have a churro.  It is the perfect portable snack, if it lasts longer than a few steps.  Once you have all that sweet it is back to salty.  Mickey pretzels are the answer.

Now watch a parade, go on more rides, and get some more walking in.  You need to build up that appetite.  Dinner is coming.  So, you better be hungry.

So next week, we will explore those possibilities. So get on your smart phone and transfer funds to payoff your credit because we have reservations at a ledgendary restaurant.

Good bye until next week.  We will see you there.

RARW

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I was weaned on all things Disney and you could be a spokesperson! You will whet everyone's appetite with this post, that's for sure. Keep up the great posts; they are informative and fun! Now I wish I had a Mickey ice cream bar . . . .

    ReplyDelete