Turning Memories Into Gold

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Time Machine Travelogue



Grab a muffin, a cup of cocoa, and put away the magzine it is time to fire up the time machine.




When I was young I was like the Ricky Nelson song 'Traveling Man'.  

Rick Nelson


I felt I had to travel and see as much of the United States as I could.  






This gave me an insight into both myself and the country that I live in.  I took it upon myself to visit as many states as I could.  
Living in California and still having to gather money to make such journeys, I traveled on octopus-armed routes outward from that central point.  If you have ever driven behind a motor home that has one of those maps that fill in they states they have traveled to, I traveled to most of the western states.  I was like a retired guy. Only I was younger and on my own. So, this is like a travelogue time machine. 

 


I would like to start with one of my most moving and fondest trips, a trip to Mount Rushmore. Going to South Dakota takes a person to many states and many sights and landmarks.




I took my personal camper, a 1964 Rambler.  






It worked for sleeping in at campgrounds because the front seats folded down into a bed.  Then you took a large tarp and placed it over the top and shut the doors on it creating a private sleeping area.  





Then with a Coleman lantern, you had an indoor environment.  At any campsite you got out that trusty Coleman stove and you had a spot for your gourmet meals.  Bacon and pancakes for breakfast, canned beef stew, pork and beans, and on a good day steak.






I traveled through western Wyoming to visit a camp at the Grand Tetons. I've seen mountains like the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades but the Tetons were incredible.  












I could have remained there longer but I wanted to see the nations first National Park, Yellowstone.  Things there were unreal, mud pots and geysers and who could go to Yellowstone and not see Old Faithful Geyser.






Approaching Mt. Rushmore from the south, you pass through Wind Cave park.  Now it is Wind Cave National Park. On that road I saw the strangest road sign.  I wish I had taken a picture but this hand drawn one is enough to give you the idea. Approaching the sign made you wonder why don't you just turn right. As you followed, it became obvious that the road crossed a bridge declined and passed under itself.  After making the turn descending to cross under in the middle of the road blocking both lanes was an American bison.



Buffaloes are so big they do whatever want.  It took forever for the beast to finally move.  This caused me to to arrive in the late afternoon.  After a short hike, I returned to the observation platform at dusk.  I gazed at the splendor of the greatest sculptural feat.  The very same monument my grandfather saw in 1936 when he was moving from North Dakota to California.  I wandered over to the guestbook to sign my name.  It was getting dark. I looked up toward the presidents and wrote, "You should put lights on it."  Then I turned and snap the lights came on illuminating the monument. Boy did I feel silly.


That was a wonderful trip my only hope is that I can take my kids on that trip someday.  That is all campers. RAWR



2 comments:

  1. This is great! I can't believe you have been to all these places. RAWR

    ReplyDelete
  2. RAWR!
    I love this post, a lot, midas!
    The places you've been to seem lovely :)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete